I'm leaving on a jetplane.....


Or left, actually, as I'm back now and planning on my return trip in October!

I had hoped to complete this trip back in March and April.  Well, I am learning Spanish time is always "manana" or "tomorrow".

I was looking thru flights, and unbelievably, the prices to get from Seattle to Malaga were almost $2k, so I turned in my miles and booked British First Class from Seattle to Paris and then a connection on Europa air from Paris to Malaga.  I was excited because First class allows up to 10 boxes and 3 boxes/bags at 70lb per bag.  I could get all of my boxes to Malaga with me!!  Yeah!!

One problem:  British and Europa air, I come to find out, do not have an airline agreement.  I felt so sick to my stomach, especially being a former travel agent, that I did not check on this.  So all eight of the boxes have to be shipped.  DHL wanted $451 to $670 per box.  Well the value of each box is really less than $200,. so not worth that amount.  The other bigger problem?  I could only put just the clothes that would fit in my carry on bag to take with me and would have to ship the rest of my clothes, shoes and toiletries. I spent $1700 in shipping costs via USPS who guaranteed in print and in person that my boxes would arrive at my destination the following Thursday, July 12.

Then Spanish Customs hit.

Had I only known what was about to happen.  I would never have done this. Ever.  This is my warning post!!  If your country is not part of the EU, you have a greater chance of items never arriving. 

But back to the pre-flight and flights.  British Air First Class. Amazing!! They have a private lounge within a private lounge which almost feels like a quarantine area, but I suspect for the million mile flyers, they need all the privacy for business and relaxation possible.  I sipped on expensive champagne at 10am without guilt. I also spent the hour trying to lighten my carryon.  WHY DO I BRING ALL OF MY WORLDLY BELONGINGS??   I need to follow the advise I gave to all of my travel clients: "Bring only what you need."  It's not like 30 years ago when traveling abroad they had nothing from the West available overseas.  Nope....you can get it all there now and many items cheaper and better.


I spent the first flight relaxing and enjoyed being pampered.  The first class cabin only had five passengers and the seat across from mine was empty, so my wonderful flight attendant made that seat into a bed for the times when I wanted to lay down.  I rarely, if ever, sleep on flights so this was a nice option.  I suffer back problems and the seat/bed was a bit too uncomfortable for me, but sitting with legs extended helped keep my swelling down.  I have to watch out for DVT due to a hematoma from a fall in my left leg.  Arriving without Popeye looking legs was a blessing!









The service and meals were fabulous and the touch controls for everything from lights to window screens was so convenient.    If I was traveling with another companion, there was even a seat (that changed into a footrest) in my bulkhead to use when the table was up as a work space or for a couple to dine together.  Nice option!  I really missed my husband during mealtime.  I don't care what Gordon Ramsey says about airline food being cooked 12 hours longer than it should be. Nope. Being able to stretch out and eat filet mignon cooked all the way thru so I don't have to leave a tiny, perfectly cut square of wasted raw steak became a Michelin 2 star to me!  (5 star if my husband would have been eating overcooked food with me.)

I am also OCD about the movies.  If they have first run movies, I HAVE to watch them ALL!!  Even if I have to fast forward a two hour movie and we are landing in 45 minutes, I will race thru. Stupid, I know, but that's me.  I'm also superstitious, I have to buy/bring water with me on my flight.  Out of States you can bring frozen water, any size, as a solid.  Make sure to drink or drain any excess. It cannot have even an ounce or its considered liquid.  Put it in a tray buy itself.  Only water.  You will lose it on connection flights thru other countries, but at least on your long flight you can stay hydrated on the flight without having to refill a tiny cup over and over.  Bring a water bottle with you and have the flight attendant fill after main service. (In first you will be given unlimited water bottles). They generally won't do it before because they have to care for 200+ passengers all wanting the same.  Don't be upset if they don't fill completely.  Ask for ice to make up the difference.  Its brought on and is safe to use.
Lots of leg room. Even if you are short!


I enjoyed getting the nice toiletry bag, slippers and pajamas.  It's so cute to see businessmen come on in suit and tie and then 30 minutes after takeoff, they are wandering the cabin in a British blue two piece pajama set with "First Class" emblazoned on the front.  I didn't use them, but I did bring them home for lounging.  I wear a comfortable stretchy one piece jumper on my flights, so nothing to dig in or bind when I swell up.
First class pajamas and amenity kit.
(Don't forget a bit of duty free shopping while on board!)

The perk of the class of service is that on connection in Heathrow, you have a dedicated lane to clear thru to your next gate and get to bypass the lines.  This saved me about 30 minutes.  This time thru, I cleared the next TSA line quickly and only had to give up my water bottle.  I always use Fiji bottles because they are square and if I drop it, it doesn't roll under seats or down the aisle.    As I waited in Heathrow for my next flight I took advantage of the free wifi and face-timed my husband.  I thank whoever invented Face-time with all my heart and soul.  During the time away, it saved my sanity!

From London to Paris (Charles de Gaulle) I was in business class, which is basically a regular row with a tray in the middle seat.  Some have leather coasters built in, depending on the plane.  I really don't eat on this flight because it's only an hour.  I chatted with the young lady from Saudi next to me. I have movies and music on my Mac and iPad and carry both in case one runs out of power and I'm unable to charge one.

Paris to Malaga on Air Europa is always my least favorite.  The flight itself is not bad, just under three hours, but the service and passengers are the worst!  The flight attendants take over half the flight to serve the "business class" passengers (again, three seats with middle blocked out) and I'm amazed at how demanding 14 people can be.  If you have less than 2-3 hours connection in Paris and are on an Air Europa flight, then book your seats as close to the front as possible. Unless you have a baby/toddler, then split up your party to sit in front of row 10.  Not only are the flight attendants slow (and rude), passengers can take up to 45 minutes to deplane.  I made the mistake of changing seats once to allow a couple to sit together. I made my flight to Seattle as they were closing the doors.  I was also bumped to coach from Premium as they thought I wasn't going to show.  Not to mention the near fights that erupt when people from the back force their way thru the crowd to the front.  I will admit that after my March flight I did threaten to punch a woman after she shoved me into a seat and caused me to hit directly on my incision sight from my hernia surgery 6 weeks prior.  I was so angry I think I turned 15 shades of raging red and purple.  The pain was excruciating and there was no need.  On my recent flight, one man accidentally bumped another man and even though he apologized, the other passenger started screaming at him.  I won't mention which country the rudest ones were from, but think black berets and croissants!!

Also, pay close attention when you land to the gates.  Gate changes from one side of the terminal to the other are very common.  I wear flats when I travel, but I see a lot of high heels and wedges.  If you are just arriving, not so bad, but from international to domestic terminals, your feet will be in pain!

Flying into Malaga is extremely easy and baggage area and car rentals are very easy to get to, although during high season plan on long lines (queues).

Next Post:  Car rentals and WIFI......

Thanks for visiting!!

Karen



Comments

Popular Posts