International Driving Permit: Get it!

Spain is one of the countries that require you to have an International Driving Permit.  You need to carry it with your valid driver's license as it's not valid by itself.  This permit is accepted in 150 countries.  You, like me, have probably rented a car and driven overseas without one without problems, but if you get stopped for any reason or get in an accident, you could receive a fine for not having one.  Our USA license is difficult for Spanish police to understand and could cause delays if stopped.  The permit will speed up the process. 

The permit is valid for one year from the date of issue.
 (lol....sorry all, I am not sharing my birthdate!!)

Getting an international driving permit is easy and only takes a few minutes to apply.  If you have a AAA office in your area, you can print off the form and bring with a photo copy of the front and back of your valid driver's license, along with 2 passport type photos, and have one in 20 minutes.  Don't use the websites that try to charge you $39 and up.  They are just scamming you.  It costs approximately $23.71.    You do not have to be a AAA member to order one. 

Website link for your convenience:
http://www.aaa.com/Vacation/idpf.html
http://www.aaa.com/Vacation/idpf.html
If you have a color printer at home and photo paper, you can print your own. Make sure it's full face, looking forward.    Measurements are approximately 1" x 1".   I just found my best looking selfie picture from my Instagram account and used that.  If you have an office, they can take them for approximately $5.00 plus tax. 

Tip:  On our last trip to Malaga the first two weeks of this month, I did what I have never done in all my years of traveling;  I forgot my driver's license at home in my other wallet.  I was starting to have a full blown panic attack when the car rental agent saw my IDP and she saved me by saying that she would accept that along with my passport!  She saved our trip and my sanity! 

Don't hesitate to post questions or experiences with your IDP!   Tips and hints from other travelers is a wonderful way to help others avoid problems.

Happy Travels!!

Karen






Comments

Popular Posts